3.1.10

New Year's Resolution #2

Okay, here is the second resolution that I wasn't able to finish posting about yesterday. My second resolution is to commit to a journal everyday, whether it be in words, sketches, or just imagining I have it, emitting the same thought vibes necessary for journaling when the physical act of writing was not possible. Long resolution, I know.

Now, onto the juicy novel.

Every year, my great uncle gives myself, my sister, and my cousins gift cards to Barnes&Noble. This is one of the highlights of my year. I received my card, and I went to the store. I had reserved a copy of "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" (nerdy, I know), but I still had a good chunk of gift card left. Being a journal enthusiast, I decided to purchase my very first Moleskine notebook and see what all the fuss was about. I had been looking for a good journal for a long time anyway.

I brought my drawing book and large, black hard cover plain Moleskine notebook home. Though the drawing book got used right away, my Moley sat in its plastic wrap on my desk for most of a week. Being a sappy moron, I was allowing myself to get extra giggly over this particular journal. Finally, I opened the package.

After obsessing about the cover and elastic band for an unhealthy amount of time, I opened the cover. And I was devastated to find that the inside cover had several dark spots ingrained in the paper. I flipped through the pages to find many more dark flecks, light flecks, large flecks, small flecks, some pages with no flecks, other pages with colonies of flecks...

Now, I have never owned a Moleskine before (meaning, I didn't know if flecks were just the way these notebooks were or if it was a real problem), but even the poorest constructed journals I have purchased have been more fleck-free than this. Using the handy-dandy quality control number inserted into my Moley, I sent an e-mail to Moleskine. The way I figured it, if it was a problem with the manufacturing, then I was helping the company learn of an issue. Within two days, I received a response, albeit the Moleskine standard response (though no less well received for it), apologizing for the mistake and telling me that they will send me a new notebook.

I am pleased with the fast response I received to my initial notification. We will see how fast my new notebook arrives. From the blogs I've read about varying quality control issues, it could be days or months. I will post an update when it does arrive. (In case you care...)

Anyway, so while Resolution #2 is on hold, I've had quite the interesting reason for it. It's an interesting ride to say the least!

I'll leave you alone now. :)

No comments: