28.10.09

Time (Part 3)

I'm sitting at the local hot spot for wireless action: the Acoustic Cafe. Nursing my 20 oz. glass of Pepsi with cherry flavoring (because Cherry Pepsi alone is not good enough for me), I watch the world of Fastenal and other semi trucks and the local hum-drum of personal motorized vehicles pass by the window on this delightfully dreary afternoon. No bird plays in the skies, and the air threatens to turn to freezing if you turn your back on it for one second. Overall, it's not a pleasant day, yet I feel in my element. The only way this could be any better was if WILSON (my laptop), my soda and I found ourselves atop a sailboat drifting languidly in the water. But, this is not the case for me. At least not at this point in my life.

There are times for sailboats and languidness, but this is not one of them.

The purpose of my time here is simple: I need to make a decision and accomplish something. That something is hopefully a chapter of "Ninth Symph", but we'll see how it goes. First I need to read over the chapters that I have allowed to incubate for about a week. This is a very important step, though it can be a costly decision if the piece incubates for too long.

Imagine, if you will, what a chicken would look like if we could choose when it should hatch, and we let it incubate longer than it out to have. By the time the poor creature came out of its shell, it would probably be gigantic, have 2.5 heads, and at least 3 wings and 4 legs. It wouldn't be pretty, and it probably wouldn't even be considered a chicken anymore. It would be a Magnus Chikticor.

But, fortunately for us the egg was made as it was (by God or by evolution, whichever pleases you), and chicks hatch of their own accord. No Magnus Chikticori on the Thanksgiving dinner table this year. Damn...

In any event, this is why I let my stories incubate for a bit: freshen ideas with fresh eyes. Now, I think it's high time to refocus my energies into a different endeavor.

Till next time!

No comments: